Tag Archives: married

Love and taxes

People keep asking me when they have to file as common law for tax purposes. Today I called CRA and this is what the friendly phone person told me. You have to file as common law when you have been living together for 12 months or when a couple (who share a home) have a baby together, or share custody of a child.

If you get married or become common law during the year, and you receive UCCB or GST/HST Credits, be sure to let the tax man know or expect to be asked to pay back over-payments.